Welcome! We are thrilled you have chosen to become a Red Raider and would like to share with you the benefits of joining a Learning Community (LC). Learning Communities are a way to connect your living and learning experiences at Texas Tech University and can assist in your transition to college life.
If you have any questions, please contact us at the information listed below. We look forward to talking with you!
What are Learning Communities?
Our Learning Communities (LCs) are unique and transformative communities where students seeking similar academic goals can live, learn and play together. At Texas Tech, we currently have 17 Learning Communities where over 4,000 Red Raiders (about 1/2 of our population) reside. Our LCs have designated residence hall floors led by Community Advisors (CAs) who offer tailored programming for your specific academic and personal needs. Our CAs are usually members of the same program too!
Our LCs share many of the same characteristics and offer numerous possibilities:
- Develop a supportive network composed of peers, faculty and staff
- Connect with professors in and outside the classroom
- Develop lasting friendships
- Experience events designed specifically for your personal and academic needs
- Make a big campus feel smaller
- Learn the ropes at Texas Tech by getting better connected with helpful resources on our campus
- Attend out-of-class programs and go on exciting trips
- Get involved in Lubbock through community service efforts
Why join a Learning Community?
Living in our LCs boosts your chances for academic success and offer the opportunity to share an intellectual experience with your peers. You will also have increased access to faculty and academic support staff.
National research shows that involvement in learning communities contributes to:
- Development of personal relationships with other students in the classroom
- Increased GPA
- Greater involvement on campus and in professional organizations
- Higher likelihood of graduating in four years
- Easier transition from high school to college
- Increased class attendance
How do I sign up?
Most Learning Communities require students to have been accepted into particular majors, minors or programs consistent with the focus of the LC. Please refer to each Learning Communities' page for more information about the criteria for application. Space is limited and assignments are made on a first-come, first-served basis.