Spring Move Out - May 14th
Students need to be moved out of their room 24 hours after their last final OR by Wednesday, May 14th, 2014 at 10:00 am, whichever comes first.
Helpful Tips for Move Out
- Pack your things early (if you can, start taking them home during weekends you have free).
- Clean your room thoroughly to avoid being charged for cleaning. Make your room look like it's "Move In" ready.
- Leave all furniture and items that belong to Texas Tech University in your room.
- Return hooks and loft kit items to the hall office (Horn/Knapp, Murray, Bledsoe/Gordon/Sneed).
- Attend your floor/courtyard closing meeting to make sure you are aware of checkout procedures.
- Set up a checkout time with your CA or SCA.
- Fill out the Update Your Mailing Address » form.
- Check your mailbox for mail and packages before you leave.
- Meet with your CA to go through your room and recheck your closet and all drawers for anything left behind.
- Leave your key with your CA, sign your inventory and take the back copy of your inventory with you.
- Check your Raiderlink account within two to three weeks of move out for any charges you may have incurred and pay for any items you know you are responsible for to avoid having a hold placed on your account. If you would like appeal or learn more about a charge on your account, fill out our
Appeal a Move Out Charge » form.
Reminders for Parents
- Ask your student about what damages they know have occurred to the room, this way the charges won't be a surprise.
- Rooms must be clean at time of checkout. Free cleaning buckets and supplies are available at the front desk of each hall.
- Charges from move out will be posted within two weeks to your student's Raiderlink account after checkout. Your student will not receive notification if billed, so it is their responsibility to check their account even after leaving TTU. Charges from move out will be noted as "Lock change/damage charges" on their account.
- If your student feels a charge is not appropriate, they must appeal any damage charge within 30 days of it being posted on their account. All appeals must be submitted using the online form within 30 days from the billing date.
Common Move Out Charges
|Lost/Not Returned Key||$50 per door|
|Holes in Wall||$5 per hole|
|Paint||$45 - $700|
|Broken Light Fixture/Lens||$40 - $80|
|Not Checking Out with CA||$50|
See a detailed list of Hall and Room Maintenance Charges »
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I don't want to take everything home with me?
Donate clean items that are in good condition to "When You Move Out, Don't Throw It Out." All donated items are given to local charities in the Lubbock community, many of which help Texas Tech students and their families. You'll find donation boxes in your hall's common areas.
Storage for personal items is not available for students in the Residence Halls. Many local storage units are available for reasonable prices in the summer months.
Where can we retrieve items if we’ve accidentally left them behind?
Abandoned items are kept for 30 days after you’ve moved out. USH Staff will try to call you and also send a letter to notify you to pick up these items. Once you have been contacted, you can set up an appointment to pick them up from us from Monday - Friday between 7:30am - 4:30pm.
What if I’m moving into a different space/hall after the semester is over?
If you are moving to a different space in your building, you may contact your Hall Secretary in the Hall Office » to find out when you will be able to move. If you are moving to a different hall, you will be notified by USH staff of the move dates. For both of these circumstances, please note the date(s) will depend on when the student who is in your future space moves out and this could be after the semester graduation date, as we do have graduating seniors each semester.
When is the last day I will get mail?
Tuesday, May 13th, 2014 is the last day of mail delivery for all residence halls (except Murray and Carpenter/Wells.)