Texas Tech University University Student Housing
TTU Home University Student Housing Conference Services

Conference Frequently Asked Questions

Conference Basics

When is the conference season?

Conference season runs from June 1 through August 1.

When can I make a reservation for my conference?

Reservations can be made starting on November 1, 2015, at 8:00 a.m. The Reservation Form can start being submitted on November 1, 2015.

What residence halls are available for conferences?

We utilize different residence halls each year in order to upkeep, maintain and renovate our facilities. In 2015 we are using the following halls:

  • Bledsoe
  • Gordon
  • Coleman
  • Carpenter/Wells
  • Stangel/Murdough

Do I have to pay a deposit for my conference?

Yes a 10% deposit is due with your signed contract.

This will be my first conference on campus, can I have a tour of the residence hall I will be staying in?

Yes and it is encouraged. Please contact us at housing.conferences@ttu.edu to arrange a tour.

Will University Student Housing check in and out my campers for me or can I do that on my own?

That is your decision. We have staff that can do the checking in and out of your group at no cost to you or you can do them on your own. Participants will receive their Conference ID card and room key at check in.

What if I lose my conference ID card?

Your ID card is very valuable. If you lose it, you will not be able to get into your residence hall or purchase meals until you pay for a replacement conference ID card for $15.00. You will also have to pay the replacement fee if you do not return your ID card upon check out.

What if I lock my key in my room?

The hall office has a lockout key for you. It can be checked out for 15 minutes. If a lockout key is not returned within the 15 minutes, you may be charged a $50.00 fee per lock for a lost key. Murray, Carpenter/Wells and Gordon have multiple doors/locks and any lost key requires us to change all locks in that room, so you could be charged up to $300.00. You can have either the participant or one of your staff members request the lock out key.

When is the staff available during my conference?

Staff is available 24 hours a day during your conference. The hall office may close between the hours of 11 pm and 6 am depending upon the size of your conference and your conference needs. We do have staff living on campus who rotate on call duty to respond to any issues when a hall office is closed. The Murray office is open 24 hours 7 days a week during the summer. The Manager of Conference Services will work with you on determining hall office hours.

How many chaperones do I need for my youth conference?

For children under the age of 13 we require one chaperone 18 years or older for every 15 youth and for children 13 to 18 years old we require one chaperone 21 years or older for every 25 youth. Chaperones are required to stay on campus overnight during your conference.

What liability insurance is required?

Minimum Insurance Coverage and Requirements

The GROUP shall obtain and maintain the minimum insurance coverage set forth below. By requiring such minimum insurance, The University shall not be deemed or construed to have assessed the risk that may be applicable to the GROUP. The GROUP shall assess its own risks and, if it deems appropriate and/or prudent, maintain higher limits and/or broader coverage. The GROUP is not relieved of any liability or other obligations assumed or pursuant to the contract by reason of its failure to obtain or maintain insurance in sufficient amounts, duration, or types.


  1. Commercial General Liability — ISO form CG 00 01 or its equivalent. Coverage to include:
    • Premises and Operations
    • Personal Injury/Advertising Injury
    • Liability assumed under an Insured Contract (including tort liability of another assumed in a business contract)
    • Independent Contractors
    • Abuse & Molestation (may be provided on separate policy and maybe waived if no minors are attending or working the event)
  2. Automobile Liability — Coverage to include: Owned Vehicles
    • Leased Vehicles
    • Hired Vehicles
    • Non–Owned and Employee Non–Owned vehicles
    • Personal Injury Protection (where applicable)
  3. Workers' Compensation and Employers' Liability — Workers' Compensation (Coverage A) and Employers' Liability (Coverage B)
  4. Property for Commercial Lease Tenants — Must contain Waiver of Subrogation language that clearly states the insurer paying any claim will not seek reimbursement from Texas Tech University
  5. Pollution Liability — If tenants' occupancy creates a pollution exposure, this coverage is required, which can be accomplished by adding ISO endorsement CG 24 15 Limited Pollution Liability Extension or its equivalent to the CGL policy. If they transport hazardous materials, ISO endorsements CA 99 48 and MCS–90 must be added to the business automobile policy. A separate pollution legal liability policy is also acceptable.

Limits Required
The GROUP shall carry the following limits of liability as required below:

Commercial General Liability
General Aggregate $2,000,000
Products/Completed Operations Aggregate $2,000,000
Each Occurrence Limit $1,000,000
Abuse & Molestation each occurrence (if required) $1,000,000
Personal/Advertising Injury $1,000,000
Damage to Rented Premises $50,000
Medical Payments (Any One Person) $5,000
Automobile Liability
Bodily Injury/Property Damage (Each Accident) $1,000,000
Personal Injury Protection, if applicable Statutory
Workers' Compensation
Coverage A (Workers' Compensation) Statutory
Coverage B (Employers' Liability) $100,000
Umbrella Liability
Each Occurrence Limit $1,000,000
General Aggregate Limit $1,000,000
Products/Completed Operations Aggregate $1,000,000

Additional Requirements

Commercial General Liability (CGL)
The GROUP shall name The University and its Board of Regents, officers, employees, agents, and volunteers as Additional Insureds on ISO endorsement CG 20 11 Additional Insured – Managers or Lessors of Premises or its equivalent.


All Policies

  • Must be written on a primary basis, non–contributory with any other insurance coverage and/or self-insurance carried by Texas Tech University.
  • Must include a Waiver of Subrogation Clause.

Notice of Cancellation: Each insurance policy required by the insurance provisions of this contract shall provide the required coverage and shall not be suspended, voided, or canceled except after thirty (30) days’ prior written notice has been given to the University, except when cancellation is for non-payment of premium; then ten (10) days’ prior notice may be given. Such notice shall be sent directly to the University. If any insurance company re¬fuses to provide the required notice, the GROUP or its insurance broker shall notify Texas Tech University of any cancellation, suspension, or non-renewal of any insurance within seven (7) days of receipt of insurers’ notification to that effect.

Certification of Insurance: An original (Acord 25) certificate of insurance shall be submitted by the insurer or agent to the University showing evidence of each of the required coverage types prior to approval of this contract. Insurers should have an A.M. Best rating of B+ VII or better.

When is my final payment due and what forms of payment do you accept?

You will be billed within ten business days of your conference checking out. Payment can be made by check, American Express, Discover, MasterCard or Visa. Texas Tech University affiliated groups can make payment by Inter Institutional Voucher (IV). Payment is due within 30 days of the date on your invoice. Individuals not affiliated with a group will need to pay any balance during their check out.

Features of our Residence Halls

Are the residence halls air conditioned?

Yes, every residence hall is air conditioned. Depending upon the residence hall some have individual temperature controls in each room and other residence halls have zone controls. Some rooms have ceiling fans in them also.

Do I have to share a bathroom with others?

Gordon, Murray, Carpenter/Wells, and Talkington have two shared bathrooms inside each suite. The remaining halls have community style bathrooms.

What is the size of the beds in each room?

Each bed is 38” wide and 80” long. If you bring your own sheets, please bring extra-long sheets. We can provide linens during your stay with advance arrangements.

Does each room have a phone in it?

No, but all of the residence halls have a phone on the floor or lobby to make on campus and emergency calls only. No long distance calls can be made from any residence hall phone.

I need a room that meets Americans with Disabilities Act standards, do you have any?

Yes, each residence hall has at least one ADA room.

What security features are in the residence halls?

Your safety is a top priority to us. In order to access the living areas of each residence hall you will need to swipe your conference ID card to gain access. Your conference ID card will only work in the residence hall you are staying in. In addition, we have video cameras at each entrance door, inside the elevators, common areas and laundry rooms. The Housing Facility Coordinators make regular rounds of each residence hall and parking lots nightly from 10 pm to 6 am. We also have staff on call 24 hours a day and desk staff to help monitor building safety. Guests are also responsible for their own safety by not letting others follow them into the living areas of their residence hall.

Do any of the residence halls have elevators?

All of the halls with more than three stories have elevators in them. Some buildings have more than one elevator in them.

Do any of the residence halls have elevators?

All of the halls with more than three stories have elevators in them. Some buildings have more than one elevator in them.

Do you have Internet access in the residence halls?

Yes. Each of the lobbies has wireless access that needs to be setup in advance. Wireless accounts are only good for up to five days. We can setup wired Internet access in each room. Participants are encouraged to bring their own Ethernet cables to access the Internet. A limited number of Ethernet cables will be available for a one-time rental fee of $5 for the duration of the guest’s stay. For long term guests to access the Texas Tech network, they will need to contact the Manager for Conference Services to assist with that process.

Can I get mail delivered to me?

We are not able to accept mail for camp or conference guests. If you would like to have anything sent to you, please have it sent to the sponsoring department address.

Hospitality Services/Meals

Where do I eat during my summer conference?

Where your conference is housed will determine where you dine. Summer conferences utilize different residence halls, but there is always a dining facility in or near all the residence halls.

What is dining service like during summer conferences?

Menus are designed to fit the various conference groups throughout the summer, but meals will be served as All-You-Care-to-Eat. All serving hours, locations and menu items are subject to change.

Are there other dining operations open during the summer?

During the summer, Hospitality Services provides a wide variety of choices to campus in both All-You-Care-to-Eat and retail locations. The Union Plaza Food Court in the Student Union Building also presents participants with numerous dining options along with the Cold Corner, Smart Choices and Sam's Place SUB Mini-market. Food service in the Student Union Building is a-la-carte and all Hospitality Service locations accept cash, check and credit cards. All serving hours, locations and menu items are subject to change.

Who do I contact about having a special meal catered?

If you need assistance planning a catered event, please call Top Tier Catering at (806) 742-1966. Top Tier Catering is the award winning catering department that will help with any special event. For further information on summer conference dining operations and meal services please visit Top Tier Catering.

Campus Partner Information

I am bringing my car to the conference, what do I need to know about parking?

Any vehicles staying on campus must have a summer parking permit. We can make arrangements to issue summer parking permits for you. We can either collect the money from the participants or bill your conference for all permits. We cannot issue any summer parking permits to any Texas Tech students, faculty or staff. You will need to contact University Parking Services at (806) 742-PARK. School buses must be parked in the C16 Commuter Parking lot near the United Spirit Arena overnight. Please also note that school buses are not permitted on 15th Street between Boston and Flint Avenues.

Can we use the Student Recreation Center and Leisure Pool during our conference?

Yes, you are welcome to use both facilities. You will need to contact the Student Recreation Center office at (806) 742-3351 to make the arrangements.

I would like to reserve a classroom in an academic building, what do I need to do?

For a classroom in any academic building you will need to contact Academic Support and Facilities Resources to make the arrangements.

I would like to reserve a space in the United Spirit Arena, what do I need to do?

For any space in the United Supermarkets Arena you will need to contact the United Spirit Arena office at (806) 742-7362 to make the arrangements.

On-Campus Conference Resources

Academic Buildings »

Class room spaces, Texas Tech University

Academic Buildings, TTUHSC »

Class room spaces, Texas Tech University Health Science Center
Phone: (806) 743-2288

Advanced Technology Learning Center (ATLC) »

2 PC labs and 1 Mac lab is available for reservation by
TTU faculty or staff.

Frazier Alumni Pavilion »

Facility & Catering Information: Kym Ruiz
Phone: (806) 742-0400

Merket Alumni Center »

Facility & Catering Information: Kym Ruiz
Phone: (806) 742-0400

Outreach - University College »

Phone: (806) 742.7202, ext. 270
Fax: (806) 742.7220
Outreach Services »

Student Union Meetings Rooms »

Reservations Office at the Student Union (806) 742-3636
Room 202 of the Student Union Building
Belinda Arredondo

Top Tier Catering »

Phone: 806-742-1966

Vehicle Fleet Management »

For use of TTU vehicles by TTU departments
Phone: (806) 742-3322

Conference Services »

Conference Forms »

Conference Rates »